Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Exaltation of the Cross, Russian icon
Some time ago I read Anthony Esolen's commentary in Magnificat about the elevation of the cross from the point of view of an English monk's meditation written in the Middle Ages from the point of view of the cross itself. It has haunted me, in a good way I hasten to add, as I would come upon small annoyances and inconveniences and then remember the image of the young Hero as a warrior striding toward the cross. Shame on me if I do not at least attempt to match that valiant attitude.
For it is not a shy and effeminate Jesus, this Savior of ours, the Healer, the Chieftain. No courageous German could respect a man who did not fight. And will Christ own us, if we do not fight for him? The poet dares to make us see Calvary in a way that we are not used to - but in a way that is right and just nevertheless. Says the cross:
Then the young Hero ungirt himself - that was God almighty, strong, stiff-willed, and strode to the gallows, climbed stout-hearted in the sight of many;...
The last Posts from "Happy Catholic"
- Bends of the Emajõgi river
- A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- We're Back!
- Feast Day of St. Therese of Lisieux: The Strong Woman Called the "Little Flower"
- Julie's hanging on to her skeleton. Scott is trying to hide from the wind
- Miss Bailey with the African Shawl
- The only way in is on your knees
- Feast of the Guardian Angels
- The Fellowship: The Literary Lives of the Inklings by Philip Zaleski and Carol Zaleski
- Night's Bright Darkness by Sally Read
- One can never wrestle enough with God if one does so out of pure regard for the truth
- Café Américain
- This Diwali - Thugs Of Hindostan
- Great First Line: Hogfather
- Julie knows there's going to be trouble when Scott picks up a drum kit at the drug store
- Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises
- Marsh Harrier
- It is a curious thing
The headlines of Artwork Mag
the only astronaut we can invite home !!
The Last Trip
we will all take this trip one day -
Estasi di Santa Teresa
Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Three recent watercolor portraits
All three watercolor portraits were painted on 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper, 11 by 15 inches in size. The black gentleman was painted mostly wet-on-wet in about thirty...
Beautiful model at the Watercolor Society
Karl Haendel No Title , 2017 Pencil on paper 155.3 × 130.8 cm Karl HaendelClaire, 2015 Pencil and enamel on paper 221 x 132.1 cm
Oil on Board. Approx 12"x12" Available at Susan Powell Fine Art. For purchase information, please contact Susan Powell Fine Art at 203-318-0616 or visit their website at
Oil on Board. Approx 8"x8" Available at Susan Powell Fine Art. For purchase information, please contact Susan Powell Fine Art at 203-318-0616 or visit their website at
Pomegranate with Antique Wood
Oil on Board. Approx 6"x6" Available at Susan Powell Fine Art. For purchase information, please contact Susan Powell Fine Art at 203-318-0616 or visit their website at
Paint Supplies For My Next Workshop
"Painting the Portrait With All Prima/An Exploration of Quick and Expressive Brushwork in Color". March 19-21, 2018, $295 The Art League 105 North Union Street, Alexandria, VA...