Our Lady of Sorrows
William-Adolphe Bouguereau , Pietà, 1876 Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many is Israel and for a sign that shall be contradicted. And your own soul a sword shall pierce, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.
Luke 2:34-35 Any mother suffers when their child suffers. It is like a sword piercing their heart. However, Mary was no ordinary mother and her son was no ordinary son. John Paul II, in his encyclical Redemptoris Mater, commented:
Simeon's words seem like a "Second Annunciation" to Mary for they tell her of the historical circumstances in which the Son is to accomplish his mission, namely in misunderstanding and sorrow... They also reveal that she will have to live her obedience of faith in suffering at the Saviour's side and that her motherhood will be mysterious and sorrowful. If we stop to consider it, Mary must overcome many troubling and sorrowful circumstances through her life, beginning with trusting that Joseph will understand her pregnancy...
The last Posts from "Happy Catholic"
- Bends of the Emajõgi river
- A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- We're Back!
- Feast Day of St. Therese of Lisieux: The Strong Woman Called the "Little Flower"
- Julie's hanging on to her skeleton. Scott is trying to hide from the wind
- Miss Bailey with the African Shawl
- The only way in is on your knees
- Feast of the Guardian Angels
- The Fellowship: The Literary Lives of the Inklings by Philip Zaleski and Carol Zaleski
- Night's Bright Darkness by Sally Read
- One can never wrestle enough with God if one does so out of pure regard for the truth
- Café Américain
- This Diwali - Thugs Of Hindostan
- Great First Line: Hogfather
- Julie knows there's going to be trouble when Scott picks up a drum kit at the drug store
- Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises
- Marsh Harrier
- It is a curious thing
The headlines of Artwork Mag
the only astronaut we can invite home !!
The Last Trip
we will all take this trip one day -
Estasi di Santa Teresa
Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Town Hall Reflections
Town Hall Reflections - 75x75cm oil on canvas Available at the Saint Ignatius Art Show 2015
Three recent watercolor portraits
All three watercolor portraits were painted on 140 lb. cold press watercolor paper, 11 by 15 inches in size. The black gentleman was painted mostly wet-on-wet in about thirty...
The Red Lighthouse series 5
De Roode Vuurtoren 15 oil on wood panel - 15 x 21 cm painted on location - Thurs 5 April 2018 € 150 A view from the seaside of the street, looking back to the city. Painted...
Autumn in Westduinpark, The Hague
Kwartelpad, Westduinpark, DH oil on canvas - 50 x 150 cm painted on location - Tues 16 Oct 2018 € 1450 We have been having warm soft weather lately, ideal for working on...
Light, air and space
Licht, lucht en ruimte oil on canvas - 50 x 100 cm painted on location - Tues 15 May 2018 € 725 Take in that sea breeze, run, jump, stretch and roll over, do it again, ...and...
The Tall Ship Minerva, Second Harbor, Scheveningen
Het driemaster gaffelschoener "de Minerva, Tweede Haven, Scheveningen oil on linen - 50 x 70 cm painted on location - April 26 - May 2/3 2018 € 725 Originally built in 1935 in...
All mediums have a painting logic and ESPECIALLY WATERCOLOR
The transparent medium of watercolor, more than any other painting medium, demands planning your painting sequence from the get go. Here is a good example. I will be conducting...