PERSONAL BRANDING in 18C - GARDEN Conversation Pieces
Johann Zoffany (1733-1810) The Drummond Family Zoffany depicted several generations of the Drummond Family, here the patriarch with the cane is banker Andrew Drummond, who's bank held the deposits of Zoffany, Gainsborough, prominent artists.
Since the mid-20C, personal branding or self-packaging has described a burgeoning process of attempting to establish a prescribed image or impression in the minds of others about an individual or a family. With no instant & far-reaching social media or digitally-aided forms of disclosure in the 18C, that wasn't so easy. But that kind of perception could be reinforced through Conversation Piece portraits. Pioneered by William Hogarth (1697-1764) & Philip Mercier (1689-1760) in the early 18C, & continued by Arthur Devis (1712-1787), George Stubbs (1724-1806), Johan Zoffany (1733-1810) & others, the Conversation Piece was a new form of portraiture, depicting groups of traditional & aspiring gentry often in country house garden landscape settings.
A growing, affluent middle...
The last Posts from "It's About Time"
- The Winter Solstice - Why is Christmas celebrated on December 25th?
- 1660 English Christmas Day Bill of Fare
- Christmas Wassail as a Punch
- Robert Herrick 1591-1674 The Christmas Wassail Bowl
- Christmas Wassailing as Social Protest in England & her North American Colonies
- England's Christmas Pudding
- The Pricey Christmas Turkey in 16C-18C England
- The English Puritan assault on Christmas during the 1640s and 1650s
- Georgian English Christmas 1714-1820
- Advent in Britain Today - Candles
- Advent Traditions - Children in Normandy set fields on fire
- Puritans - The Puritan War on Christmas 1642-60 from History Today
- Advent Traditions - Italy
- Christmas Food & Drink - Medieval Christmas
- Christmas Food & Drink- A Tudor Christmas
- Christmas Food & Drink- Englishman Thomas Tusser (1520-1580) on Elizabethan Christmas Food
- Christmas Greenery - A brief history with images
- The Winter Solstice - The Yule Log
- Advent Traditions - England Medieval "Dolls" or perhaps puppets as Baby Jesus & Mary
- 19C US - Christmas Trees & Cards
The headlines of Artwork Mag
the only astronaut we can invite home !!
The Last Trip
we will all take this trip one day -
Estasi di Santa Teresa
Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Stone House / MM++ architects
© Hiroyuki Oki Architects: MM++ architects Location: Nha Trang, Vietnam Lead Architects: Mỹ An Phạm Thị, Michael Charruault Area: 300.0 m2 Project Year: 2018 Photographs...
EV House / HMP Architects
© Mario Wibowo Architects: HMP Architects Location: Jakarta, Indonesia Lead Architects: HMP Architects Architect In Charge: Wenda Andriyani Area: 315.0 m2 Project Year...
Large Wall Art Abstract Painting,Contemporary Art “Go With The Flow” by...
48"x72"x1.5" Acrylic on Canvas/Available
BOGO - Mixed Media Abstract Painting, Contemporary Art
This acrylic on paper and panel packs a lot into the petite size. The neutral rust colors provide a nice contrast to the rich blues and the hint of vibrant citron captures your...
Chalet L / Silvia Acar Arquitetura
© André Scarpa Architects: Silvia Acar Arquitetura Location: São Lourenço da Serra, SP, Brazil Architect Responsible: Silvia Acar Area: 67.2 ft2 Project Year: 2018 Photographs...
Fine Art Print, Gemstone Abstract Art "Gemstone 3R" by Colorado Mixed Media...
This 12"x12"x1.25" Fine Art Print is available for $99.00 HERE
For the Men Who Still Don't Get It
The current state of feminism has occupied my mind lately, not the least because a poem I wrote 20 years ago, essentially a feminist manifesto, has gone viral. I never posted...
On success, and other maladies
After I wrote in a recent post about how, in the mid-eighties, seeing Basquiat 's work caused me to stop exhibiting my paintings, a Facebook friend responded: " ...too bad, but...
Copper Facades: Architecture's Original Bling
© Thomas Ott Since its discovery in 8700 B.C., copper has been one of the most used metals in the history of humankind. It has a variety of uses from coins and weapons to...
The Most Liked Instagram Posts of 2018
© Serjios In the current iteration of our digital age, Instagram is king. With 1 billion active monthly users, Instagram has become the go-to visual platform for showcasing a...