PERSONAL BRANDING in 18C - GARDEN Conversation Pieces
Johann Zoffany, (1733-1810) The Drummond Family. 1769
Since the mid-20C, personal branding or self-packaging has described a burgeoning process of attempting to establish a prescribed image or impression in the minds of others about an individual or a family. With no instant & far-reaching social media or digitally-aided forms of disclosure in the 18C, that wasn't so easy. But that kind of perception could be reinforced through Conversation Piece portraits. Pioneered by William Hogarth (1697-1764) & Philip Mercier (1689-1760) in the early 18C, & continued by Arthur Devis (1712-1787), George Stubbs (1724-1806), Johan Zoffany (1733-1810) & others, the Conversation Piece was a new form of portraiture, depicting groups of traditional & aspiring gentry often in country house garden landscape settings.
A growing, affluent middle class was emerging, as Britain's colonial empire prospered in the 17C & 18C, & its Industrial Revolution began. The dissolution of England's monasteries in the 1530s had led to new land...
The last Posts from "It's About Time"
- The English Puritan assault on Christmas during the 1640s and 1650s
- Georgian English Christmas 1714-1820
- Advent in Britain Today - Candles
- Advent Traditions - Children in Normandy set fields on fire
- Puritans - The Puritan War on Christmas 1642-60 from History Today
- Advent Traditions - Italy
- Christmas Food & Drink - Medieval Christmas
- Christmas Food & Drink- A Tudor Christmas
- Christmas Food & Drink- Englishman Thomas Tusser (1520-1580) on Elizabethan Christmas Food
- Christmas Greenery - A brief history with images
- The Winter Solstice - The Yule Log
- Advent Traditions - England Medieval "Dolls" or perhaps puppets as Baby Jesus & Mary
- 19C US - Christmas Trees & Cards
- November & December, 1765 - America Unites Against The Stamp Act - Taxation without Representation
- The Poinsettia's Proud Philadelphia Roots
- Christmas Carols
- The Winter Solstice - The Roman midwinter festival Saturnalia
- The Winter Solstice - Yuletide
- Advent Traditions - The Advent Calendar
- Advent Traditions - The Advent Wreath
The headlines of Artwork Mag
the only astronaut we can invite home !!
The Last Trip
we will all take this trip one day -
Estasi di Santa Teresa
Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Breathe with the city-Doko Beijing / House Fiction
South facade duck. Image © FangFang Tian Architects: House Fiction Location: Sanlitun, Beijing, China Lead Architects: House Fiction Client: Doko Bar Area: 140.0 m2 Project...
The Sales Center in Wenzhou TOD New Town / NAN Architects
© FangFang Tian Architects: NAN Architects Location: Wenzhou Avenue, Longwan District, Wenzhou, China Architect In Charge: Xu Nan Design Team: Huilian Tang, Dingqi Zhou, Ziyu...
Original Contemporary Abstract Mixed Media Still Life Flower Art "Red in...
Red flowers brighten a zebra vase in a black and white themed painting. Contemporary Abstract Mixed Media Still Life Flower Art Painting 12"x12" Mixed Media on Canvas/Available
Winners, NatGeo contest of 2018
Jassen Todorov Christian Werner Nicholas Moir Pim Volkers Winners, NatGeo contest of 2018
Abstract Painting, Small Oil Painting, Daily Painting, Mountain Walk, 6x8
I came back from a walk in the Blue Ridge Mountains, inspired by the bright summer colors. Flowers were evident around every turn.
ALASTAIR FONTANA - B&W SEA - 0004
BOGO, Contemporary Abstract Mixed Media Painting “Three Widows” by Santa Fe...
I love the colors in this acrylic on panel painting and the deep texture too. There are windows made from transparent material that is painted on both sides for even more...
Villa Villekulla Café & house / Rieuldorang Atelier
© Yoon, Joonhwan Architects: Rieuldorang Atelier Location: Dongnae-gu, South Korea Lead Architects: Kim Seongyoul Design Staff: Bae, Seongyong Area: 229.0 m2 Project Year...
Contemporary Abstract Landscape Art Painting,“WINDOW OF ABUNDANCE” by...
24"x24" Mixed Media on Cradled Panel/Available
Over 2.5 Acres of Projected Images and Videos Illuminate Chicago's Riverfront
Animated work by Zheng Chongbin ART ON theMART is a new Chicago-based art program that amplifies the works of contemporary artists, transforming their pieces into dazzling...